This recipe for avocado toast is one that I find myself making most often, because I usually have the ingredients required in my fridge and pantry already. The lemon and cilantro brighten and balance out the creaminess of the avocado, and the smoked paprika.
- 1 slice of bread
- 1/2 avocado*
- juice from 1/4 lemon
- 1/4 tsp (2.5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 handful chopped cilantro
- sprinkle of smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 fried egg
- Warm the bread in a pan on medium heat until the facedown side is slightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- While the bread is warming, mash the avocado with a fork until it’s chunky.
- Combine the avocado, lemon juice, garlic powder, chopped cilantro, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Flip the bread so the other side can brown. Move the bread to the edge of the pan.
- In the other half of the pan, warm some olive oil or butter, and gently crack an egg in.
- Remove the bread from the pan after about 2 minutes, and spread your avocado mixture over it.
- Remove the egg from the pan after about 3 minutes, and place it atop the avocado mixture.
- Top with smoked paprika powder and a few more cracks of black pepper, and enjoy!
* To check if an avocado is ripe, push gently on the stem. You can also squeeze the fruit gently in your hand. The less rigid it feels, the riper it is. Perfectly green avocados will have a medium-firm feeling.